Blackheads are huge openings that appear on the skin with black skin debris on the tip. A blackhead is an open comedo while a white head is a close comrade. This open comedo is the first stage of an acne outbreak. They start to appear after puberty when hormone levels start to rush to an all time high all the way to the skin. This skin blemish is common on oily skins but can affect any skin type.
Why Do You Have Blackheads?
If your skin is overproducing oil, you will definitely have blackheads. This type of blemish will always be present on your skin because of these:
- Hormonal changes especially during puberty.
- Dirty skin
- Bacteria in your skin
- Caffeine and alcohol
Getting Rid of Blackheads
Blackheads can be both irritating and embarrassing. Here are 6 simple ways on how to remove blackheads. Be patient and never squeeze these blemishes. Squeezing can inflame and leave a scar.
- Exfoliate your skin with baking soda. Mix baking soda and water to form a paste. You can also replace water with apple cider vinegar.
- Clean your pores with a facial clay mask for deep cleaning.
- Use a pore strip to superficially remove the blemish.
- Remove oil from clogged pores with glycolic and salicylic acid. Consistent use of these acids will prevent a blackhead from forming.
- Use strong prescription formulations of retinoid. Some over the counter formulations of retinol are also effective.
- When all the above ways fail, go for a microdermasbrasion.
Preventing the Appearance of Blackheads
The tips listed above are on how to get rid of blackheads. As they say, prevention is always better than cure. While you will always know how to remove blackheads, it is best that you prevent them from appearing on your skin.
- Have a change in lifestyle and avoid foods that have excessive oil and sugar. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser at least twice a day.
- Exfoliate your skin at least twice a week. Exfoliating will remove dirt from your pores without causing any damage.
- Choose your cosmetics and skin care products carefully, especially your moisturizers.
- Avoid touching your face especially when your hands are dirty.
Now you know how to prevent the appearance of a blackhead. How to get rid of blackheads will never be your concern if you patiently follow the tips listed above. It is easier to maintain a clear and healthy skin than to burden yourself on how to remove blackheads.